“I am on vacation.” Four words that can justify holy murder.
While we step into holiday frenzy, all those days of sticking to your vegetables, cardio burn out sessions, and staying away from sugary cocktails seem to disappear. Yes, vacation time is your time off, your time to let loose, kick back and relax. The fear is sometimes we might let too loose, and by that, we mean 2 sizes up at the jeans store.
All year round you have been a disciplined fitness freak, or close, and all that can be undone by a few weeks/days of no holds bar chomping. We look forward to that special holiday with close friends and family all year round, and while time away can be blissful, you always have to come back to the real world and then end up cursing that extra plate of french fries.
It doesn’t have to be this hard; we've figured out a cheat sheet for you to be able to enjoy your time exploring the world, as well as be good with your food chart.
So here goes:
1. You will probably be carrying a travel tote or backpack while you are exploring the new city. Whether it’s a hike, some down-time at the beach, or a park in Prague, always be prepared. Fill your bag up with some healthy snack options that can keep you from reaching out to the greasiest vendor in sight. We are big fans of a delicious nutrition bar, a trail mix, almonds, walnuts, figs, or the easiest - an apple. This will make sure that you stick to your three main meals and snack in between, rather than two dinners that we occasionally become victims to.
2. Find out if your hotel has a gym. 30 mins on the treadmill will get your heart pumping and keep it that way for the rest of the day. If you get this in before you head out for the day, you'll feel energized and raring to go. Don’t underestimate those endorphins!
3. There is no better way to explore a new place than on foot. Take a comfortable pair of walking shoes and head out. Better yet, do some research prior to your trip or sign up for a walking tour, hike, or cycle tour.
4. Holiday mode means all aboard on the cocktail menu, so make sure you stay hydrated. Sun, sad, and mojitos might sound dreamy, but it will definitely lead to an ugly morning simply because you are dehydrated. Always carry a bottle of water with you.
5. Keep one meal as your cheat meal for the day. Try and be good on the other two - less damage and guilt.
6. Do some research on the local produce. If you have access to fresh meat and vegetables, you'll be able to steer clear of processed food.